Sunday, October 12, 2008

Early October 2008

Schedule: On Wednesday, October 1st, I met with staff at the MN Historical Society regarding historical immigration issues as part of my service on the Legislative Coordinating Commission Working Group on Ethnic Heritage and New Americans. In the afternoon, I met with representatives of Messerli & Kramer, a lobbying firm, about issue affecting suburban cities. On Thursday, October 2nd, I had an introductory meeting with the executive director of the White Bear Lake Chamber of Commerce, then attended a meeting at the MN Pollution Control Agency about an upcoming product stewardship study that I requested in legislation in 2008. In the evening, I participated in a candidate forum with my opponent on North Metro 15 cable TV. On Monday, October 6th, I participated in a press conference with Senator Amy Klobuchar and Congressman Jim Ramstad, where they talked about their bill to combat copper theft. The bill includes some of the same elements of my state metal theft bill that has led to numerous arrests. On Tuesday, October 7th, I attended a forum for north metro legislative candidates given by the MN Transportation Alliance in Blaine. On Thursday, October 9th, Senator Rummel and I attended a forum on transportation for senior citizens in Vadnais Heights. It was useful to hear about what the funding sources are for dial-a-ride and other bus services for the elderly. On Sunday, October 12th, my family and I attended an event given by ISAIAH (see link on the right) on social justice, civil rights, health care, and transportation issues. On Monday, October 13th, I attended a subcommittee of the Ethnic Heritage & New Americans working group.

Constituent contacts: Shoreview resident about how the Clinton Administration created the Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae crisis; Shoreview resident against 2005 law requiring 20% ethanol in gasoline; district resident asking about how to register to vote; several constituents pushing for better enforcement of ATV laws; two district residents upset about Wall Street bailout bill; North Oaks resident about legislation regarding donation of bodies to science