Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Late August 2008

My column attributed to wrong author: During the week of August 24th, the White Bear Press, the Quad Press, and the Shoreview Press printed my rotating legislative column on the retirement of the baby boomers but used the picture of my colleague Rep. Matt Dean for attribution. They will print a correction. Those are the breaks!

Schedule: On Friday, August 15th, several of my colleagues from the House had an impromptu meeting with Senator Klobuchar at the State Capitol. On Saturday, August 16th, my volunteers and I participated in the Blue Heron Days parade in Lino Lakes. In the afternoon I participated in the Business Expo at Lino Lakes City Hall. (The husband of one of my opponents was being particularly belligerent in front of our table. Tsk, tsk.) On Wednesday, August 20th, I visited the Lexington City Council to update them on legislative activities that affect the city. On Thursday, August 21st, I filmed a brief cable TV segment at the Capitol, and in the late afternoon I attended a retirement event for Milo Bennett, the Centennial Fire District chief. On Tuesday, August 26th, I attended a meeting of environmental advocates regarding rule revisions by the MN Department of Health on health risk limits (HRLs) for selected chemicals found in groundwater. In the afternoon, several House members, Senator Rummel and I attended a legislative briefing at the Department of Health about the rule revisions. (I'll do a separate post on that.)

Visitors: MPCA Commissioner Brad Moore and two other senior MPCA staff about some solid waste reports that I requested in legislation in 2008. We also talked about the Highway 96 landfill situation in North Oaks; Shoreview high school student about the legislature and elections

Constituent contacts: Lino Lakes resident about contracts for corrections officers; Shoreview resident asking about deductibility of disabled veterans benefits from property taxes; Shoreview resident upset about transit sales tax; Shoreview resident concerned about pesticide application laws; North Oaks resident about Health Department rule revisions for groundwater contamination; Circle Pines resident asking about home foreclosure protections passed in 2008